The edibles! What fun! Who doesn't get excited thinking about a garden overflowing with fresh vegetables, fruit tress that give you an abundance of plump, fresh fruit, or the taste of fresh herbs to season your favorite meals. Nothing can give you greater satisfaction than harvesting your own food. Start planning now to get the best garden of your life.
Your fruit trees, garden areas and herbs all need some attention in February. You can start purchasing and growing seeds, begin tilling a new space and collecting recipes for your harvest. And it won't be long before you can put some of the cooler weather varieties into the ground.
Here are a few more suggestions:
- Prune fruit trees and grapes at the end of this month, before any growth starts.
- Fertilize fruit trees before blossom time.
- Choose at least one vegetable that you've never grown before and add it to your garden this spring.
- Apply dormant spray to fruit tress before new growth starts.
- Contain aggressive perennial herbs by planting in buried pots.
- Check any vegetables you have stored for spring planting. Discard the spoiled ones.
- But your vegetable garden basics: plant labels, stakes, supports, etc.
Have fun with your own "farm" and enjoy this season's harvest!